Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Today was another interesting day. It was quite clear that Halloween is two days away and the kids are exited. They wouldn't stop talking about their costumes or who they were trick or treating with. As much as we tried to steer the conversation away from it they just wouldn't stop talking about it. Part of it was that in one of the centers they were making a "Christian pumpkin" that had two stars for the eyes, a cross for the nose, and a fish for the mouth. It was a really good project for them to do because they had to cut out a big circle without having some kind of guideline and then they had to trace the other shapes and then cut them out. The group I worked with on it a couple of days ago was mostly boys and they had a really hard time cutting out the big circle for the pumpkin. I eventually had to draw them on there for a few of them because they were on their third piece of construction paper. In the all girl group I had today though there was only one girl that was having the same problem. The tracing and cutting out wasn't too much of a problem for either group and it was definitely good for them to have some more practice with cutting because they seem to struggle with that more than anything. It was interesting having the group of all girls vs. the group that was mostly boys. I don't know if it was just the kind of project that it was or that these girls were just more receptive than the other group but the girls group just dove right into it. I didn't really have to explain anything to them at all they just saw the example and went with it. The mostly boys group was much more distracted and I had to walk them through the every step the whole time because they just weren't doing it. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I do it with an all boy group tomorrow.

Quote of the day:

Patty Ann: Miss Nikki are you married?
Me: Nope.
Patty Ann: Do you have a boyfriend?
Me: Yes.
Patty Ann: Are you going to marry him? Do you think it'll be soon?
Me: If we do get married I don't know when it'll be yet.
Patty Ann: Well maybe for Halloween you should wear a wedding dress then he'll have to marry you.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahaha. What did Sam think of that?